Friday, December 5, 2014

What I Always Wanted...

...was a train set.  Not a silly little one with a miniscule circular track, but a huge layout, with steam locomotives, signal boxes, and roads and rivers!  Okay, I can still dream, I suppose...

I have some wonderful memories, you see, of the set my grandfather set up in his attic.  Sure, it wasn't as big and impressive as some you see, but it was like heaven to me,  Sadly, to avoid any ugly conflicts between the grandchildren, he sold it a short while before he died.

Of course, Americans are all too aware of the Lionel train sets that have been around for years, but we in Britain had our own - Hornby.  To those of us with even a passing interest in the world of model railways, the name Horny conjures up all kinds of magic.  Sorry to disappoint my American friends, but the quality and appearance of Hornby engines and accessories is far superior...

If I won the lottery, I would put aside a decent amount just so I could build the layout I want.  No, Hornby stuff is not cheap, but then, it is definitely worth the price.  I admit to favouring the steam locomotives, but there are plenty of other great diesels and electrics too,  Here is a selection of photos that make me drool...





Class 33 loco by Phil Parker is licensed under CC BY 2.0




Shunting by Ben Salter is licensed under CC BY 2.0


DMU by Ben Salter is licensed under CC BY 2.0


Pug by Les Chatfield is licensed under CC BY 2.0

No comments:

Post a Comment