Wednesday, January 27, 2016

F.A. Cup 4th Round...

Time to get right up to date with things again, and return to the great game of football!  This weekend sees the Fourth Round Proper of the F.A. Cup.  Looking at the draw, I must admit to being a little disappointed...

The reason for my disappointment is that there are no non-league (from outside the Football League) teams left in the competition.  Eastleigh came oh-so-close to beating Bolton at the first time of asking, but a late equaliser sent the tie to a replay, which Bolton won.

Thing is, in recent seasons, it does seem that relatively few non-leaguers make it to the fourth round draw, whereas when I was growing up, it seemed that there were  usually one or two left in at this stage.  I admit, I haven't checked all the seasons, so it may be my memory playing tricks on me, but it still makes me unhappy...

From League Two, Carlisle, Oxford Utd, and Portsmouth are all still very much alive and looking for glory.  Carlisle are at home to Premier League Everton, while Portsmouth host another top flight team, Bournemouth.  Oxford Utd host Blackburn Rovers.

There are only three all PL fixtures.  Liverpool and West Ham looks nicely balanced, as does the Crystal Palace ad Stoke clash.  Meanwhile, second place Manchester City visit bottom club Aston Villa, and anything other than an away win would be considered a major shock.

Nothing else really stands out for me, but there are opportunities for some of the less-fashionable sides like Bury, Peterborough, and Walsall to make an impact on this year's competition.  I will be back with the results next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment