Wednesday, April 27, 2016

George Meredith...

Born in Portsmouth in 1828, George Meredith was an English novelist and poet.  Here, I am going to concentrate on Meredith's poetry.  A very prolific poet, Meredith wrote on many subjects, and here I will focus on his works about nature.


While there are not necessarily any specific locations noted, you can be sure that much of his poetry was inspired by his surroundings in the county of Surrey, which is where he spent many years.  Very much a fan of the outdoors and all things natural, Meredith loved walking in the country, as you will see.



A Roar Through the Tall Twin Elm-Trees

A roar thro' the tall twin elm-trees
The mustering storm betrayed:
The South-wind seized the willow
That over the water swayed.

Then fell the heavy deluge
In which I strove to doze,
Hearing all night at my window
The knock of the winter rose.

The rainy rose of winter!
An outcast it must pine.
And from my bosom outcast
Am I, dear lady mine.



Breath of the Briar

I

O briar-scents, on ye wet wing
Of warm South-west wind brushing by,
You mind me of the sweetest thing
That ever mingled frank and shy:
When she and I, by love enticed,
Beneath the orchard-apples met,
In equal halves a ripe one sliced,
And smelt the juices ere we ate.

II

That apple of the briar-scent,
Among our lost in Britain now,
Was green of rind, and redolent
Of sweetness as a milking cow.
The briar gives it back, well nigh
The damsel with her teeth on it;
Her twinkle between frank and shy,
My thirst to bite where she had bit.



On the Tombstone of James Christopher Wilson (D. April 11, 1884) in Headley Churchyard, Surrey

Thou our beloved and light of Earth has crossed
The sea of darkness to the yonder shore.
There dost thou shine a light transferred, not lost,
Through love to kindle in our souls the more.

No comments:

Post a Comment