Sunday, June 22, 2014

When I was a Lad...

Yeah, I know it was a long time ago, but I can still remember those days!  As with many Britons of my generation, I look back on some of the kids television programmes with extreme fondness.  I'm not talking about the Hanna-Barbera cartoons and the like - which we did get in the UK - but some of the native stuff.

I recall that many of the shows were very educational, but to outsiders, they would seem downright odd!  We had our regular shows (between 4.45pm and 5.45 pm), but I'm talking about the 5 minute animations that followed, as well as some of the lunchtime fare.  I will admit, though, that some of the things we got from Europe made our things look very normal...

Thanks to the joys of the internet, and in particular, Youtube, we can still enjoy some of the old shows.  The first I will post is one of the lunchtime programmes, which was called Bod.  Bod was a peculiar looking boy, with an even more peculiar way of walking.  What I loved in particular was the wonderfully catchy theme tune.  Bod first appeared in 1975 (okay, I know I was a little old to watch such shows!), and there were only thirteen episodes ever made.  Still, it is regarded as a classic, and hopefully you will see why we loved it when you watch the clip below!


The second treat is one of the all-time favourites.  Captain Pugwash was one of the late afternoon shows I mentioned.  Unfortunately, the show has gained notoriety in recent years, due to an urban myth regarding the names of some of the characters.  Anyway, here is an episode of Captain Pugwash.


So, I can't wait to see some of the responses to these clips, particularly from those of you who have never seen them before!

No comments:

Post a Comment