Friday, August 28, 2015

More Sweets for My Sweet...

A couple of weeks back, I made a post called "Sweets for My Sweet", which was all about British confectionery.  The title this time refers to the debut single by the English band, The Searchers, which topped the UK charts in 1963.

Formed in 1959, the Liverpool-based group were one of the most successful exponents of the "Mersey Sound" of the early 1960's, and are still touring in the UK!  Sweets for My Sweet was one of three No. 1 hits (Needles and Pins and Don't Throw Your Love Away were the others) in the UK, while three more broke into the Top 10.

Not as well known in the US, the band still managed three Top 20 hits, including a remake of Love Potion No. 9, which peaked at No. 3 in 1964.  Strangely enough, this particular recording failed to chart in the UK!

Here are The Searchers...


Needles and Pins




Goodbye My Love




Saturday Night Out




What Have They Done to the Rain?





No comments:

Post a Comment