Friday, November 14, 2014

I Hope You Understand...

... what I am about to write!

I have covered some poems before, but this time, it is going to be a little different.

I picked up a PDF of a book by William Barnes.  It is from 1864, and is called Poems in the Dorset Dialect.  While this is not a foreign language, it may appear so at first!  The thing is that you will probably have to read it aloud to get it!  If you do understand - even if it's only small parts of it - it should make you smile.

Yes, this is the way that some people speak (or used to speak, anyway)...



FALSE FRIENDS-LIKE

When I wer' still a bwoy, an' mother's pride,
A bigger bwoy spoke up to me so kind-like,

"if you do like, I'll treat ye wi' a ride
In thease wheel-barrow here."  Zoo I wer' blind-like
To what 'e had a-worken in his mind-like,
An mounted vor a passenger inside;

An' comen to a puddle, perty wide,
He tipp'd me in, a-grinnen back behind like.
Zoo when a man do come to me so thick-like,
An' sheake my hand, where oonce 'e pass'd me by,

An' tell me he would do me this or that,
I can't help thinken o' the big bwoy's trick-like.

An' then, vor all I can but wag my hat
An' thank 'en, I do veel a little shy.



No comments:

Post a Comment