Friday, November 21, 2014

Poems about London...

It has been a while since I posted some verse about the great capital city, so I think it's time for some more.  London Bells (which seems to be the basis of the nursery rhyme, Oranges and Lemons)is from sometime during the 17th century, with The Cries of London from a century later.  The authors of both are unknown.

LONDON BELLS

Two sticks and an apple,
Ring the bells at Whitechapel.

Old Father Bald Pate,
Ring the bells Aldgate.

Maids in white aprons.
Ring the bells at St. Catherine's,

Oranges and lemons,
Ring the bells at St. Clement's.

When will you pay me?
Ring the bells at the Old Bailey.

When I am rich,
Ring the bells at Fleetditch.

When will that be?
Ring the bells of Stepney.

When I am old,
Ring the great bell at St. Paul's.

THE CRIES OF LONDON

Here's fine rosemary, sage and thyme.
Come buy my ground ivy.
Here's fetherfew, gilliflowers and rue.
Come buy my knotted marjorum, ho!
Come buy my mint, my fine greenmint.
Here's fine lavender for your cloaths.
Here's parsley and winter-savory,
And heart's-ease, which all do choose.
Here's balm and hissop, and cinquefoil,
All fine herbs, it is well known.
Let none despise the merry, merry cries
Of famous London-town!

Here's fine herrings, eight a groat.
Hot codlins, pues and tarts.
New mackerel!  Have to sell.
Come buy my Wellfleet oysters, ho!
Come buy my whitings fine and new.
Wives, shall I mend your husbands horns?
I'll grind your knives to please your wives,
And very nicely cut your corns.
Maids, have you any hair to sell,
Either flaxen, black or brown?
Let none despise the merry, merry cries
Of famous London-town!

No comments:

Post a Comment