Monday, March 28, 2016

I'm Back...

So, I'd just like to apologise for the totally unplanned break last week!  Of course, spring has now sprung, and I thought I would post something very, very British, which also conjures up wonderful images and feelings of a beautiful spring day.

Another of my favourite composers is Ralph Vaughan-Williams (1872-1958).  A very prolific composer during his fifty-year career, Vaughan-Williams was one of the most English of English composers with works including :

English Folk Song Suite for Orchestra
Fantasia on Greensleeves
Linden Lea ("In Linden Lea; a Dorset Song")
On Wenlock Edge (song cycle)
Symphony No. 2 ("A London Symphony")

While not possessing a geographical name, the piece you are about to hear certainly is very English in its nature.  Here is The Lark Ascending, with Vernon Handley conducting the London Philharmonic Orchestra, with David Nolan on violin.




No comments:

Post a Comment