Tuesday, March 15, 2016

It Gets Depressing, But...

You know, once again I hadn't planned on this, but the last few months have really saddened me, with all the great names in British music that have passed away.  Just a couple of days after posting last week's tribute to Sir George Martin, we lost the one of the biggest names in progressive rock, Keith Emerson.  He was just 71.

Of course, best known as the keyboard wizard in Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, Keith Emerson was a hugely influential figure in modern music.  Again, I am not going to post any kind of an obituary - they are so easy to find elsewhere - and the circumstances behind his sudden death are very disturbing, so I will just post some music as a tribute.

Before I do that, however, I will also mention the sad passing of the English composer and conductor, Peter Maxwell Davies.  Born in Manchester, 81-year-old Davies died of leukemia at his home in the Orkney Islands.  I will also post a video here as a tribute.


Peter Maxwell Davies
(8th September 1934 - 14th March 2016)

Farewell to Stromness





Keith Emerson
(2nd November 1944 -  10th March 2016)

Brain Salad Surgery (full album) - Emerson, Lake , and Palmer



No comments:

Post a Comment